Views: 345 Author: Site Editor Publish Time: 2022-11-11 Origin: Site
Masterbatch is a solid or liquid additive used to impart color or increase the properties of plastic products. There are two main types of masterbatches: masterbatches that concentrate pigments and masterbatches that enhance the properties of the final plastic product. Masterbatches are added to base polymers to ensure economical coloration of polymers during plastic manufacturing. What are the requirements for colorants for masterbatches? How should we choose?
Requirements for Colorants for Masterbatches
The color material used in the color masterbatch must pay attention to the matching relationship between the color material and the plastic raw materials and additives
1. The colorant cannot react with resin and various additives, and has strong solvent resistance, small migration, and good heat resistance. That is to say, the masterbatch cannot participate in various chemical reactions. For example, carbon black can control the curing reaction of polyester plastic, so carbon black material cannot be added to polyester.
Due to the high molding temperature of plastic products, the color material should not decompose and discolor under the molding heating temperature. Generally, inorganic pigments have better heat resistance, while organic pigments and dyes have poor heat resistance, which should be paid enough attention to when selecting colorants.
2. The dispersibility and tinting strength of the pigment should be good. When the colorant is not uniformly dispersed, it will affect the appearance of the product; when the colorant has poor tinting strength, the amount of the colorant will increase and the material cost will increase. The same colorant has different dispersibility and tinting strength in different resins, so pay attention to this when selecting colorants.
The particle size of the pigment is also related to the dispersibility. The smaller the particle size of the pigment, the better the dispersibility and the stronger the tinting strength.
3. Other properties of pigments should be understood. For example, for plastic products used in food and children's toys, the pigments are required to be non-toxic; for plastic products used in electrical appliances, pigments with good electrical properties should be selected; For outdoor plastic products, pigments with good weathering resistance should be selected.
Precautions for using masterbatch
1. Masterbatch is mainly used for plastic coloring, plastics are divided into many kinds, such as PP, PE, PC, ABS, PVC, PA, PBT, etc. When adding color masterbatch to different plastics, it is necessary to consider the compatibility of materials, otherwise it will lead to poor dispersion of the different color masterbatch, and at the same time, the mechanical properties of the matrix material will decrease.
2. The amount of functional color masterbatch used in different processes is different. The injection molding product has a small amount of addition. Because the product is thicker, the color is darker. The film product is very thin, and the required color masterbatch concentration and addition amount must be high, otherwise the color is very light.
3. The various color masterbatch will absorb moisture after being stored for a period of time, especially PET, ABS, PA, PC, etc., so it should be dried according to the same process as the original color particle to meet the water content requirements.
Do you know how to choose special effect masterbatches or additive masterbatches? Welcome to share your story and masterbatch with us.